December 2, 2012

Yarn Haul

Years ago when I resisted any sort of fiber arts, I knew it was because I would have a stash problem. Yarn seemed bulky -- like it took up an inordinate amount of space. I didn't have a lot of space where I lived (and I still don't...) so I carried on with other bits of crafting and creativity and let other people knit and crochet. 

The irony is not lost on me, as I remember how I finally caved in because I wanted a more portable hobby than sewing (anyone who owns a sewing machine will vouch for me that Singers and Vikings are not easy to transport when you have a luggage limit). Once I had that analogy in my head, whatever thought I had about yarn taking up space flew right out the window. Suddenly, a ball of yarn and a hook or two sticks proved quite portable.

This year, as part of my 'use what you have' strategy for not collecting more stuff in our small living space, I have forced myself to go through my stash before I purchase any more yarn. 

It worked pretty well... until this week. 

 
Even though this store is quite far from where I live -- three flights away to be more precise -- I have visited before. Each time I walk out of the shop with a giant bag of yarn, and then I wonder how I'm going to get it all home in a carry-on suitcase. 


Thankfully this time, the yarn haul wasn't quite so dramatic. But I'm still wondering how I'm going to get it all into my bag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment