April 8, 2014

Crochet Giraffes and the Real Deal


One giraffe down, four more animals to go, and we have a little zoo, along with the tree! 


I am loving this pattern. It's so cute and innovative! And despite my earlier skepticism on my decision to use leftover shades of green on the treetop, rather than one color, it's totally growing on me. 


And the giraffe? Well, they amaze me in any case. My first ever stuffed animal was a giraffe. Then, when the Sailor and I got married, some friends pitched in to purchase us two nights at a luxury game lodge in South Africa. Along the dusty road towards the lodge, the Sailor and I chatted about which animals we really wanted to see. The Sailor was itching to see a lion; I of course said a giraffe. Not one minute later, a giant beast of a giraffe crossed the road in front of us. Our safari experience was already off to an amazing start.


We saw even more giraffes during our visit. I doubt this was the same one we spotted on the way in, but look at how close we were this time! That's our driver's scout sitting in front of us. (Photo courtesy of the Sailor.) 

The Sailor never got to see his lion, but that's all the more reason for us to return someday. In the meantime, I'll make sure to crochet him one.

2 comments:

  1. I love the giraffe...sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think he's still going to be my favorite, even after the other animals are finished :)

      Delete